On 7th September 2012 His Beatitude Theodoros II, Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa appointed as the new Director of the “Pantainos” Journal His Eminence George, Metropolitan of Accra, Representative of His Beatitude in Athens and Director of the Patriarchal Office in Athens, following the passing of the late Elder Metropolitan Dionysios of Leontopolis, who productively directed the official Bulletin of the Alexandrian Church (2004-2012).
History of the “Pantainos” Periodical
In 1906 the Patriarchal Printing Press was established and began operating productively under the initiative of Patriarch Photios (1900-1925).
In 1908 the significant step of the issuing of two periodicals for the Patriarchate, the “Ecclesiastical Pharos” (January 1908) and “Pantainos” (September 1908). The “Pantainos” Periodical, which bears the name of the first Director of the Catechetical School of Alexandria (2nd century A.D.), primarily recorded the chronicles of the Alexandrian Church.
Its first three Directors were Gregory Papmichael, John Fokilides and Michael Galanos. A series of distinguished personalities, both clergy and lay intellectuals, among whom in recent years the late Timotheos Bishop of Eleusis later to become Metropolitan of Central Africa, Fr. Andreas Karageorgiou, Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Carthage and Elder Metropolitan Dionysios of Leontopolis.
Also, the late Theodoros Moschonas, Director of the Patriarchal Library of Alexandria, was Editor of the periodical,