In an atmosphere of piety and religious majesty, the Arabic-speaking Orthodox Parish Community of the Archangels in the suburb of Daher in Cairo, celebrated eighty yeara of spiritual life, with the presence of His Beatitude Theodoros II, Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa, who was present at all the services.
On the eve of the feast the Alexandrian Primate together with His Eminence Nicholas of Ermopolis and His Grace Nikodimos Bishop of Nitria and Patriarchal Vicar of Cairo, and His Grace Niphon Hegumen of the Holy Monastery of St George, officiated and preached the homily, presenting the significant results of his recent trip to countries in Central Africa. Speaking of the celebrating Saints, he prayed that they will always protect Egypt, and praised the presence of the youth who numbered more than at any other time, telling them that the future of the land of the Nile is in their hands.
He also spoke of his satisfaction for the productive work done by the Parish of the Archangels under the ceaseless care of its Parish Priest, the Very Reverend Archim. Isidoros Salakos, and warmly thanked the Parish Council for the gift of a hierarchal pectoral cross.
On the day of the feast, His Beatitude conducted the Divine Liturgy in the full Holy Church, which was attended by among others His Excellency the Ambassador of Greece to Egypt Mr Christodoulos Lazaris, the Honourable Consul General of Greece in Cairo Mr. Ioannis Hatzantonakis, the Honourable Consul of Cyprus Mr. Fotis Fotiou and the General Secretary of the Hellenic Community of Cairo Mr. Antonios Iordanides.
Note that the Arab Orthodox Church of the Archangels in Daher has bound its history with the Hellenic Community in Cairo, a history which begins at the beginning of the last century, when with the increase in Arab Orthodox Christians in Egypt, the idea was born of the building of a Church for their worship needs.
The prime mover for this idea was the late Prince Michael Lutfala who donated the land for the building and undertook the drafting of the architectural designs of the Church. The huge effort of collecting funds for the building of the Church began, with the significant contribution of the Great Benefactor Eleni Siaz. The foundation stone of the majestic Church was laid in 1928 and in January of 1931, Patriarch Meletios MEtaxakis of Alexandria inaugurated the Church and dedicated it to the memory of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel. The altar from that day to this has been served by pious clergy, among whom were the late Hieromonk Chrysostomos who served for forty years, as well as the Elder Metropolitan Paul of Memphis.
This Church Community is defined by its productive spiritual activities, such as the operation of catechetical schools of all levels, youth gatherings, Bible Studies etc.